The Tunic Top: An Essential Guide to Wearing This Fashion Staple
The Tunic Top: An Essential Guide to Wearing This Fashion Staple
Tunic tops are a versatile fashion staple that every woman should have in her wardrobe. The tunic is a loose-fitting, oversized shirt that provides comfort and style while being easy to dress up or down. In this complete guide, we'll cover everything you need to know about these must-have tops, including how to wear them and style them for different occasions.
What Exactly Are Tunic Tops?
A tunic shirt is typically more oversized and boxy than a typical shirt or blouse. The sleeves can be long, short, or even sleeveless. While tunics are often associated with casualwear, they can also be quite dressy depending on the fabric and styling.
Some key characteristics include:
- Oversized, flowy fit that skims the body
- Length hitting at the hip, thigh, or knee
- Diverse sleeve lengths
- Made from various fabrics like jersey, linen, silk, etc.
- The neckline can be crew, V-neck, Henley, or mock neck
These tops are extremely versatile. They can easily be dressed up or down, taking you from day to night with just a few minor tweaks.
The History of the Tunic Top
The tunic dates back thousands of years! Tunics were worn by ancient Greeks and Romans as basic garments. Back then, they were necessary for layering under togas and cloaks.
In the 1960s, the tunic morphed into a looser, hippie-inspired style often embellished with fringe, embroidery, or punchwork. The 70s disco era ushered in even shorter versions.
In the 90s, designers like Donna Karan reinvented the tunic as a chic, modern fashion staple. It became a wardrobe MVP for the minimalism and menswear-inspired looks of the decade.
Today, the modern tunic is still going strong on the fashion scene. Designers are constantly putting fresh spins on this classic
The Benefits of the Tunic Top
There are many reasons why these tops are a wardrobe essential:
Comfortable and breezy. The oversized fit skims your natural curves for a relaxed, easy fit. The fabric never clings too tightly. You'll stay cool on hot summer days.
Easy to style. They go with everything from jeans to skirts and boots to sandals. Dress up a casual one with some statement jewelry for the night.
Packable. These fold up without wrinkling making them ideal for travel outfits. Toss one in your bag for stylish sightseeing.
Versatile lengths. With shorter and longer options available, you can choose the proportions that work best for you.
Suits all body types. No matter your size or shape, there is one that will be flattering and fabulous.
Modest option. Longer lengths provide more coverage for those who prefer minimal skin exposure.
Clearly, the tunic deserves a spot in every modern woman's closet!
How to Wear a Tunic Top
One of the best qualities is their versatility. You can wear them dressy or casual - the styling options are endless! Here are a few foolproof ways to wear them:
For a casual daytime look:
- Pair with skinny jeans or leggings in a dark wash. Add ballet flats or ankle boots.
- Layer over a tank and leggings with slip-on sneakers for weekend errands.
- Belt one over colored denim or printed pants. Complete the outfit with sandals.
- Go for a monochromatic look by matching it to skinny trousers.
- Add a cropped moto jacket and slip-on sneakers for an edgy vibe.
To dress it up:
- Tuck into a midi skirt with heels for dinner or a date night.
- Layer under a fitted blazer with cigarette pants and pointy flats.
- Belt a silky one over sleek black pantsuits for work.
- Pair with wide-leg trousers and wedges for a polished look.
- Add a statement necklace and heels to take it from day to evening.
The Best Tunic to Flatter Your Body Type
The best part is they come in so many different shapes to flatter various figures. Here's a quick guide to picking the best tunic style for your body type:
Pear shape. Balance curvy hips by choosing a longer length hitting mid-thigh. Look for side slits and an A-line shape. Solid darker colors can minimize a wider hip area.
Apple shape. Accentuate your legs and highlight your waistline with a shorter, belted style. Look for V-necklines and pair them with leggings or slim pants.
Hourglass figure. Show off your shape in a tailored one that cinches at the waist. Look for wrap styles or those with an inner tie belt to highlight your curves.
Athletic build. Choose flowy tops with extra volume through the hip area. Bold prints, side ruching, and soft fabrics will add shape while concealing broad shoulders.
Petite frame. The right length and
Plus size. Don't be afraid to play with volume! Maxi-lengths with flowy material are perfect for concealing areas and playing up assets. Empire waists cinch the narrowest part of the torso.
Focus on which shapes make you feel amazing. The confidence you exude in a flattering fit is the best accessory!
Tunic Style: Fabrics and Finishes
These tops come in a wide variety of styles and fabrics from breezy cotton to luxurious silks. Material choice can impact the vibe, so consider occasion and season when selecting. Here are some top fabrics and how to wear them:
Jersey: Soft jersey knits make easygoing everyday options with stretch and comfort. Pair with leggings and sneakers.
Linen: Lightweight linen is perfect for warm weather. Belt over shorts or trousers for a refined vacation look.
Chambray: Similar to denim, chambray adds a casual element perfect for weekends. Looks great with cutoffs or skinny jeans.
Silk: Look for silk tops with fun prints or embellishments to dress them up. Layer under blazers or tuck into pencil skirts.
Cotton: Nothing beats cotton for casual ease. Look for trims like lace or crochet to add feminine detail.
Cashmere: Luxurious cashmere makes elegant layering pieces for cooler weather.
Lace trims: Elevates any fabric, from jersey to silk. Look for it on necklines, sleeves, side slits or hemlines.
Embellishments: Details like embroidery, beading, and grommets can take a plain top to chic fast.
Prints: From polka dots to abstract floral, prints add personality! Play with motifs to make it feel fresh.
Fabric choice is key to finding your perfect match! Consider care, stretch, and weight to make the best selection.
How to Care for the Modern Tunic
Caring for them properly ensures they last season after season:
- Read care labels and follow washing instructions. Sort laundry loads by fabric type and color.
- Wash in cool water - hot water can damage delicate fabrics. Lukewarm or cold water is gentler.
- Hang dry when possible to prevent heat damage from the dryer. Lay flat or hang delicates.
- Use gentle cycles like delicate or perm press settings on your washing machine. Avoid high agitation.
- Watch embellishments. Remove ornate ones before washing. Hand wash heavily beaded or detailed pieces.
- Spot clean stains to avoid setting them. Use a specialty cleaner formulated for that fabric.
- Avoid fabric softener and dryer sheets which can leave residue on clothes over time. They are not necessary.
- Steam wrinkles instead of ironing, using a garment steamer. Avoid direct contact heat.
- Fold and store properly in a cool, dry place. Hang delicate fabrics like silk.
With some basic care, your tops will maintain their shape and look beautiful for many seasons of chic styling!
Pair Your Tunic Top With
The simple beauty is they pair effortlessly with so many other wardrobe essentials. Here are some perfect pairings:
Jeans - Fitted dark denim jeans elongate the leg to balance a looser top. Add heels for the evening.
Leggings - Great for casual tops. Play with colors and prints like burgundy or snake print.
Shorts - Try both fitted shorts and flowy versions. Pair longer tops with short shorts to show leg.
Pencil skirts - For work or evenings out, tuck into a sophisticated pencil skirt and add heels.
Denim skirts - Cute flared, A-line, and button-down denim skirts complement a casual weekend look.
Pantsuits - Give your pantsuit a style upgrade by topping it with a silky top instead of a blouse.
Blazers - A structured blazer adds polish layered over any top. Try a button-down boyfriend style.
Moto jackets - Add edge with a rock n' roll moto jacket layered over a drapey top.
Kimono cardigans - Open kimonos in lightweight knits work nicely over sleeveless or short-sleeve versions.
Floppy hats - Wide-brimmed hats look adorable for a chic finishing touch.
These effortless tops allow you to get creative mixing prints, textures, and accessories. Use them as a blank canvas for self-expression!
Here are a few fabulous outfit combinations for inspiration:
Floral tunic + distressed denim + strappy sandals: Relaxed BOHO summer vibes. Add layered beaded necklaces.
Oversized color block top + black leggings + white sneakers: Sporty street style for weekend coffee dates. Top with a crossbody bag.
Animal print tunic + pleated leather skirt + booties: Wild yet polished for the office or evening cocktails. Carry a sleek top-handle satchel.
Cropped lace top + palazzo pants + wedges: Softly romantic date night. Wear your hair down and add dangly earrings.
Turtleneck tunic + A-line skirt + over-the-knee boots: Effortlessly chic fall transitional outfit. Finish with an exquisite pendant necklace.
Embellished top + cigarette trousers + metallic heels: Dressy dinner look that makes a statement. Go bold with red lips and an updo.
The possibilities are endless for chic tunic outfit combinations! Use these ideas when planning for any occasion.
Key Takeaways About Tunic Tops
- These must-have tops provide comfort, style, and endless versatility. They are easy to dress up or down.
- Choosing the most flattering tunic and length for your body type is key. Consider details like embellishments.
- Fabrics impact the vibe and occasion. Think about how it will be styled when selecting material.
- Proper care will keep your tunics looking beautiful season after season.
- These effortless tops pair seamlessly with other wardrobe staples like pants, skirts, jackets, and more.
- Get creative mixing prints, textures, and accessories to make these tops uniquely you!
Now you have all the tips on how to wear and style tunic tops! Use this guide to shop for flattering tunics and pull together chic outfits with pieces in your closet. Most importantly, have fun making these versatile staples your own. The possibilities are endless!
If you're looking for stylish, well-made tunic tops, be sure to check out Sew Elevated. Our tunics come in a variety of flattering silhouettes and fabrics to suit any body type. And we offer a full range of sizing so you can get an absolutely perfect fit. Visit www.sewelevated.com today to shop our collection and find your new favorite tunic top!